Thursday, July 22, 2010

my best friend's wedding.

Alexa is one of my best friends. When she walked into my sixth grade classroom, she was the new, quiet girl. We sat at the same lunch table that year... talking occasionally, but nothing ever substantial. It wasn't until the following year, in 7th grade band, that our friendship solidified. We sat next to each other as much as we could, trying to pay attention and get our flutes in tune, but often giggling more than playing. As the years rolled on, we found ourselves spending many days and evenings at each others' houses doing not much of anything, but always laughing and having the time of our lives. We remained strong friends through high school and our college years. Together, we experienced joy, grief, stresses, heartbreaks and accomplishments. Through it all, I have come to find that Alexa is one of the strongest women that I have ever known. She is completely radiant inside and out. She is accepting, caring, intelligent and handles adversity with grace. Last week, I had the joy of standing next to her, along with our other best friend, Kate as her matron & maid of honor as she wed the love of her life, Nathan.

I left the professional camera duties to my friends Abby & Todd, but here are a few behind the scene images from the bachelorette brunch and getting ready on the wedding day...

the "bachelorette brunch" on Wing Lake (Bloomfield Hills, MI) at our friends' home...
The main decor inspiration for the brunch was buttons. Alexa is also a Mason Jar & wildflower kind of soul... so naturally, we incorporated those. Her wedding color palette included honeys, golds, oranges, browns and yellows, so we tried to keep all colors within that.
The menu was inspired by Alexa's favorite Food Network star, the Barefoot Contessa. The main dish was slow-roasted scrambled eggs mixed with goat cheese and fresh chives, topped with roasted asparagus and tomatoes. Accompanying the entree was oven roasted herb potatoes, greek yogurt & granola, two-bite scones and a homemade fruit salad made by my momma!

the wedding day. Ceremony @ Kensington Community Church (Troy, MI), Reception @ The Huntsman Hunt Club (Dryden, MI)


Before her grandma passed away years ago, she gave these diamond earrings to Alexa and requested that she wear them on her wedding day. The necklace she wore held a diamond that her dad gave her mom on their 10th anniversary. What a beautiful way to commemorate her loved ones!
Alexa's little brothers...


And then, I put down my camera to stand next to my friend as she became a wife...

Alexa, I love you. I find it a blessing to call you a dear friend and I am so excited that you have found Nathan to be your husband. Your wedding day truly was one for the books (no pun intended ;)) and it was a honor to witness this union.

No comments: